OMG. While perusing delicious things to try, we ran across a recipe for Rum “Spiked” Carmel Corn from the website Rachel Cooks. She had adapted the recipe from another that used whiskey. As we read on, we loved her rational on using rum instead of whiskey by saying, “Whenever I have anything that tastes like rum, I’m reminded of my honeymoon in Jamaica.” (sounds like someone enjoyed a little Rum Therapy in Jamaica!) We set out to make it and followed her directions pretty closely. She commented that, “If you’ve never made caramel, you’ll think you screwed this up. I did. It gets sort of dry-ish before it melts. Just keep stirring. Good things will happen.”
It did. And now I’m trying to wait until a party on Sunday to gobble the rest up…
Rum Glazed Caramel Corn
(adapted from Rachel Cooks)
1/2 cup unpopped corn
3 cups of granulated white sugar
1/4 cup dark rum (such as Myers’s)
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1.5 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
1. Pop the popcorn with an air popper or on the stove with oil. Place popped popcorn in a large bowl.
2. Cover one to two sheet pans with aluminum foil.
3. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, rum, butter, vanilla, and salt. Heat over medium heat, stirring very often. (See Rachel’s note above – just keep stirring – it gets dry-ish looking before it melts and looks like you’ve screwed things up!) Continue to cook until sugar melts and caramel becomes a dark caramel color. I takes about 15-20 minutes. Once it melts and turns a dark caramel color, act fast because it scorches quickly.
4. Add the baking soda and keep stirring. Be careful as it bubbles up quickly and almost doubles in quantity. Quickly remove from heat, pour over the popcorn and stir quickly to coat all the corn.
5. Spread the caramel corn out on foil lined sheet pans and allow to cool at least ten minutes before digging in.
Note: The only problem we had was that we had ALOT more caramel than needed to cover the popped corn. Next time, and there will certainly be a next time (this stuff is awesome!) we’ll just pop more popcorn. No reason to let good caramel go to waste…. Enjoy!
Thanks for the recipe Rachel. We’ll be scouring your site to see if you have any other scrumptious rum inspired recipes!
Find more rum recipes here:
Pictures and other content may not be re-used without written consent from Rum Therapy, LLC